Microstrategy 7 Questions
Microstrategy 7 Questions
Background - I have spent the past 2 years on various BusinessObjects development projects, however I also have some very limited experience on the old DSS Agent kit. I have a list of questions for those of you who have done some development using Stategy7 and are prepared to help.
basically all I have done is asked what can businessobjects do, so if you think "ah but Strategy is really good at..." then please add it to the list.
1. Does it still use temporary tables to produce a report?
2. Can more than one user view/manipulate a single report?
3. Is slice and dice done locally or on the server? do all the attributes in the temp table have to be displayed in the report?
4. Does drilling require a re-query of the database?
5. Is it aggregate aware?
6. How is a report generated? In BOb you have a blank piece of paper that you can add tables, charts and cells - what you see on the screen is what is printed out. From what I remember of the old version it displayed a seperate window for each report and if you wanted any formatting you had to export to Word - is this still the same?
7. Is there a concept of user defined variables?
8. Can it handle exception reporting?
9. Can the values displayed in a user prompt be restricted depending upon the selections made higher up the hierarchy? e.g. You may select 'Electrical' under the Product group prompt and then under the Low Level Product Group you only see values linked to Electrical.
If this is possible how simple is it to acheive? lots of coding, dodgy workarounds?
10. In a ranked report, is it possible to display the top 3 followed by a cell called 'others' which displays those not included in the top 3?
11. Can you rank within a rank? e.g. top 5 selling products within my top 3 stores
12. IS it possible to drill without altering the report i.e. with BOb I could display a list of my products followed by a number of measures, I could then see how the measures change through different restrictions placed higer up the hierarchy - I could choose to restrict by region, promotion etc
13. A businessobjects universe(metadata) can only access data through one ODBC string, however a single report can contain AND combine data from different universes and therefore different DBMS - can Strategy? Can Strategy even combine data from different projects that use the same ODBC string?
14. If you have lots of users creating reports I presume lots of Temp tables are created - are these always cleared up? do you know of any problems?
15. Do the temp tables remain for as long as the report definition remains in the metadata?
16. BOb gives you a GUI that displays your database tables and relationships(in an ER format), so it is very simple to drag across table attributes to be turned into objects - does Strategy have something similar, how easy is it to use?
17. In order for BOb to answer complex questions that involve sets, you have to use another of their tools, Set Analyser. I presume this is where Strategys Collabrative Analytics comes in? Does it match up to the hype? Again, do you know of any issues with this?
18. In your experience, do most sites opt for the desktop rather than use the tool via the web? Are there any known issues with the web tool?
I realise there are a lot of questions, but any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance