Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Quick Disconnect

Quick Disconnect

Quick Disconnect

Hello all, I have a situation where analog phones are commonly moved abruptly, ripping the phone jack out of the wall. Does anyone know of a quick disconnect type adapter that can go inline at the wall plate to reduce this problem? Yes, I know it sounds odd, and it shouldnt be this way, but it is what it is. :)

RE: Quick Disconnect

Not a quick disconnect, but what about just breaking off the tabs (so they don't lock in)?

RE: Quick Disconnect

If you break off the tab the plug will likely come out on it's own.

My solution would be to use a longer cable and connect it to something sturdy to take the strain off the jack. This could be as simple as a zip tying or using a clove hitch to secure the cable to a desk leg.

RE: Quick Disconnect

Like Dgyde said, if it is just analog, you could use almost anything. As extreme as a heavy duty extension cord, or an in wall RCA connector would work. I can't think of anything specifically made for Telephone.

RE: Quick Disconnect

I would break off the tab then use a spot of glue on either side of the plug to retain it. Will require you to glue it in at the new location.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

RE: Quick Disconnect

I would nail the phone to the desk or wall

RE: Quick Disconnect

I have had a customer superglue their phones to the tables in their file room to avoid pulling them off as they looked for files. Old 1A2 sets, made it hard to change a lamp though.LOL


Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

RE: Quick Disconnect

TR guitar plug and jack or old school 4 prong will work ?

RE: Quick Disconnect

"TR guitar plug and jack or old school 4 prong will work ?"

Old school is new again.

I am curious as to how the phones are moved abruptly.
What does that mean exactly in this case?

RE: Quick Disconnect

How about using one of those retractable phone cords of a sufficient length. If it is pulled, the cord will just get longer =D

RE: Quick Disconnect

How about making a custom line cord. Break out the strain relief (the little plastic part that crimps on to the jacket) and then crimp the plug onto the line cord so that only the 4 pins where they pierce the insulation of the conductors are what is holding it in. It will rip the cord out of the plug and leave the plug in the wall plate. Then all you need is to crimp on a new custom plug.

RE: Quick Disconnect

there was a item i used years ago it was called MODLOC in which you cut off the the latch and install the modloc


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close