Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

See pic.

I am moving this connector to another location. I cannot get these wires to connect! Either they fall out or I get them in there, but there is no metal on metal contact! I tried using pliers to no avail.

Do I need a tool???

RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Yup, you need a tool to seat the wires properly, or purchase a jack with screw terminals instead of IDCs, or worst case, assuming that you are mounting this on a box, so that there is space behind it, pull off the Green and Red and use UY or UR connectors to splice your I/W to the wire to the modular jack.

RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Well, I'm a newbie when it comes to this phone stuff so I'll have to look up the acronyms you used. Can you tell me what tool I would need? All I'm doing is hooking it up at the new location exactly the way it looks in the pic.


RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

The "tool" that I used on that type jack was a 2 inch piece of molded plastic that came with the jack although it looks like it might work with a 110 or krone type punch-down tool (either of which will set you back much more than a new jack). The IDC mentioned by Tommy means that the Connector "Displaces" the Insulation as you push the wire up into a slot in the metal fingers. Don't tell anyone, but I have had some luck on that style jack by using a putty knife and small screwdriver to force the wire into place, sometimes even stripping off 1/4 inch of insulation and pushing the bare wire into the metal slot.

RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

It's a "630" blade for a telephone punch down tool. http://www.phonegeeks.com/otherblades.html

Sometimes when you buy a new jack, they include a cheap plastic tool that you can use a few times before it's all worn out.

UR and UY are "Scotchlock" splice connectors, with 2 or 3 slots to put wires in, and then squeeze together with a pair of pliers to make the wire connection.

RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Any piece of metal narrorer than the gap in the metal parts in the insulation displacement connector can be used to push the wire down.

Ideally you would have a punch down tool to do the job but there have been many wires seated without them.

If the tool you use is wider than the slot you spread the contacts and introduce a place for contamination to start and eventually fail the connection.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

RE: Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

You guys are AWESOME!!!

jknicholas, I think I'm going to try your improvised method...

Thank you all for the information!!!!!!

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close