Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Toner and Probe POE interference

Toner and Probe POE interference

Toner and Probe POE interference

m in need of a Toner and Probe kit that can overcome the interference created by PoE or a cable plugged into an active switch.

I bought a Fluke Networks Pro3000 Analog Tone and Probe and all i got was the feedback . I am wondering if a Fluke Networks IntelliTone Pro 200 Toner  will work. I been looking through the comments and i have not seen this mentioned or maybe im missing the right verbiage to look for. can any one help??

RE: Toner and Probe POE interference

Look up something like: Progressive Tone And Probe Line Tracer. When you get it, build an adapter that sends the tone (normally on the blue pair) down an unused pair, or split it between other pairs, ie one on Green/white, the other on white/orange or similar. That should take care of your issue.
I am not familiar with what you have, but you may be able to build an adapter for that too, with just a pair of data jacks and a piece of wire.

RE: Toner and Probe POE interference

Toners work best on split pairs on unconnected cables. Since you have to disconnect one end to insert the tone you can't work on a live circuit anyway. So one method goes like this:

1. Connect toner to a split pair with an adapter or connect toner to one wire in the cable and the other toner lead to ground.

2. Look at switch for unconnected ports.

3. One at a time remove the cable patchbay connector that connects to a unconnected switch port.

4. Stick the insulated tip of your tone probe into the open connector on the patchbay. The tone should be quite audible.

There are better ways to trace wires in this situation than a toner and probe.

First, if it is a managed switch look at the MAC address table and you will be able to tell which devices are connected to which port.

Second, there are quite a few devices available that flash switch ports when connected to a remote jack. My favorite is the MicroScanner. It gives provides a complete set of tools to verify basic connectivity and find faults in almost any sort of cable. I don't know if the MicroScanner2 has this capability.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close