Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Screen straight edge idea

Screen straight edge idea

Screen straight edge idea

The ATT billing support person and I have just thought of an application which we would both greet, and I wonder if this would be the right place to suggest it or ask if it existed.

The item would be a superimposed straightedge which could be moved up and down a screen with the cursor.

Reason: I am one of those people who have trouble following lines and colums so they enter the wrong data in the wrong field or box - why I was speaking to the ATT billing support person..Yellow pages got $300 intended for business phone lines. Last week I confused Costco by sending a large amount intended for City Bank. In a previous career I entered all of the English grades in the French box and was nearly fired for it.

On paper I simply use a folded sheet and follow down the page, a bit difficult with a wide screen. Something of this nature would also be useful in rough checking Paradox and other layouts.

I am thinking a solid gray bar maybe ten or so pixels wide and extendable in size.  

RE: Screen straight edge idea

Something like 'A ruler for Windows' (see http://www.arulerforwindows.com/)?

You can re-size it, make it almost transparent, drag it around your desktop and move it in small increments using the arrow keys.

When you download it from Download.com, you can see "People who downloaded A Ruler for Windows also downloaded:" further down on the final download page showing links to several more on-screen rulers.

Hope this helps...

RE: Screen straight edge idea

Actually, I found a better one - "On-screen Ruler  V1.0.1" - at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1250.

It's better inasmuch that you can set the colour of the font and the ticks to match the colour of the ruler... so it's just a bar, either semi-transparent or opaque. This is more like what you wanted in your original post, i.e. just a solid gray bar.

It's also portable... no installation required so it's joined my other utilities on my USB stick!

Hope this helps...


RE: Screen straight edge idea

Thanks. They're useful to a point, but I guess straight edge isn't quite what I meant, or rather, I was thinking of something that would stay on top of the program you are filling out. Still, two nifty apps.  

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close