×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Jobs

'Urgent' : 511 error connecting to vmware-serverd process

'Urgent' : 511 error connecting to vmware-serverd process

'Urgent' : 511 error connecting to vmware-serverd process

(OP)
Hi,

Since this morning, we're receiving a "511 Error connecting to /usr/sbin/vmware-serverd process".

The vmware-serverd process is eating up my CPU's (4 of them on an IBM eServer xSeries 460 w/8Gb RAM) up to 80%, where the httpd is a good second with the remaining 20% up to 60% as well.

When I Google for the error, all I find are articles stating that killing the vmware-serverd process (which respawns automatically) and/or restarting the httpd.vmware process should suffice, alas, it doesn't make any difference..

The VMware version is 2.5.2 and has been running perfectly for quite a while now. No changes were made to the system for at least the past 2 months.

No VM's are running when this occurs; first I tried rebooting the ESX server but the problem occurs when trying to log on through the MUI.

I already raised a call with VMware but due to the fact their timezone and ours are quite different (we're in Holland,Europe and VMware support is somewhere in the USA) it may be more difficult to find a solution anytime soon.. ofcourse we're running some pretty important production servers on it which are needed right away ;)

RE: 'Urgent' : 511 error connecting to vmware-serverd process

(OP)
Issue has been resolved. It turned out we needed to update the BIOS/Firmwares and the problem no longer occurs. Strangely enough. The server had been running for a year without any problems..

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close