×
INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

External battery connector to UPS sparked small fire

External battery connector to UPS sparked small fire

External battery connector to UPS sparked small fire

(OP)
I just recently purchased an APC SmartUPS 2200RMXL3U along with the external battery pack (SU48R3XLBP).  Right after unpacking and mounting in the rack, I connected the batteries in each, then proceeded to connect the external battery pack to the UPS.  What happened next was shocking. Sparks and flames shot out from the rear connector, melting the connectors themselves.

I have heard of this happening before, but this is the first time it has happened to myself.  I've always thought that the others may have done something wrong, but I did this install by the book and it happened anyway.

I have no tip to offer anyone to avoid this, other than test your UPS as soon as you receive it to avoid any hassling to obtain an RMA.  Anyone else have a story like mine to tell?

RE: External battery connector to UPS sparked small fire

Was it connected backwards, or was the connection bad?
(or was it some other problem?)

RE: External battery connector to UPS sparked small fire

(OP)
The connectors have housings shaped like an upper case "B" so that they can only fit one way.

I'm not sure what caused the problem, however normally when I have connected these batteries there would be a slight spark, not a massive one like this that melted the connectors.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close