1. Replace the old hard drive with the new hard drive.
2. Visually inspect the inside of the BCM to confirm all connections are OK. It may be a good idea to use a PC style vacuum cleaner to remove excessive amounts of dust from the unit.
3. Replace the cover
4. Connect your PC to Serial port using a Null Modem Serial cable
5. Apply power to the BCM & allow 5 minutes for the BCM to become operational. During this time it will perform a check disk and a reboot.
6. Open Hyper terminal session on your PC
ò IN CONNECTION DESCRIPTION NAME IT BCM AND PICK AN ICON
ò IN PHONE NUMBER CHECK CONNECT USING IS DIRECT TO COM 1
ò IN COM 1 PROPERTIES CHECK PORT SETTINGS
ò BITS PER SECOND 9600
ò DATA BITS 8
ò PARITY NONE
ò STOP BITS 1
ò FLOW CONTROL HARDWARE
7. If the BCM is ready you will then be prompted to log in.
ò user name: ee_admin
ò domain: (leave blank just press return)
ò password: PlsChgMe! or eedge depending on HDD
8. You will then be presented with a menu, press1 to select "Platform Initialisation Menu".
9. From the "Platform Initialisation Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Menu"
10. From the Initialise Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Universal Profile" and wait for a short time for the next menu to appear
11. From the "MSC Initialisation Menu" choose option 3 û depending on HDD version this maybe "E1 MSC LOAD" for 3.01 and 3.5 and "UK MSC E1" for 3.6 or your country specification!. Again depending on the HDD version the leds on BCM will flash in a particular way. For 3.01 and 3.5 all Leds will flash green and for 3.6 you will see the Power flash red then the Temperature followed by the Fan and other leds will be green or out.
12. During this stage the BCM will upload the necessary files and core and will do various reboots, when you have all leds showing steady green it has completed. The whole process should be completed within 30-40 minutes.
Additional information as there is an issue with running the initialization profile from the serial port. The Apache server would not start and you couldn't connect with the browser interface. There is a bug in the 3.7 image. Before running the initialization profile you have to go to a command prompt through the serial port (option 7) and change the date back to 1-1-2008. Then run the initialization profile. After this is completed, everything came up fine. Finally change the date back to e.g. 7-1-2012 and all is working OK.
BCM 4.0 Hard Drive
1. Power off BCM and remove existing hard drive.
2. Install New Hard drive and power up the BCM.
3. Leave the BCM for approx. 20 minutes to install (there is no user intervention required i.e. no ôUniversal Profileö as with the BCM3.x platform.)
4. After the 20 min period connect to the BCM with Element Manager.
5. Set the system Time Zone and Time and Date.
6. Enter your keycodes *
* If the system was previously a BCM 3.x system you will need to obtain a BCM 4.0 Upgrade authcode as well as a BCM 4.0 authcode. These authcodes will need to be generated on the Nortel Keycode Retrieval System using your system ID to enable you to obtain the LIC File containing your keycodes.