Network > Web Proxy A Web proxy server intercepts HTTP requests and determines if it has stored copies of the requested Web pages. If it does not, the proxy completes the request to the server on the Internet, returning the requested information to the user and also saving it locally for future requests. Setting up a Web proxy server on a network can be cumbersome, because each computer on the network must be configured to direct Web requests to the server.
If you have a proxy server on your network, instead of configuring each computerÆs Web browser to point to the proxy server, you can move the server to the WAN and enable Web Proxy Forwarding using the settings on the Network > Web Proxy page. The SonicWALL security appliance automatically forwards all Web proxy requests to the proxy server without requiring all the computers on the network to be configured. Configuring Automatic Proxy Forwarding (Web Only)
Alert: The proxy server must be located on the WAN; it cannot be located on the LAN.
To configure a Proxy Web server, select the Network > Web Proxy page. 1. Connect your Web proxy server to a hub, and connect the hub to the SonicWALL security appliance WAN port.
2. Type the name or IP address of the proxy server in the Proxy Web Server (name or IP address) field.
3. Type the proxy IP port in the Proxy Web Server Port field.
4. To bypass the Proxy Servers if a failure occurs, select the Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Server Failure check box.
5. In SonicOS Enhanced: Select Forward DMZ Client Requests to Proxy Server if you have clients configured on the DMZ
6. In SonicOS Standard: To send proxy requests from the OPT interface as well as the LAN interface, check the Forward OPT/DMZ/WLAN Client Requests to Proxy Server checkbox.
7. Click Apply. Once the SonicWALL security appliance has been updated, a message confirming the update is displayed at the bottom of the browser window.
Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Failure
If a Web proxy server is specified on the Firewall > Web Proxy page, selecting the Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Server Failure check box allows clients behind the SonicWALL security appliance to bypass the Web proxy server in the event it becomes unavailable. Instead, the clientÆs browser accesses the Internet directly as if a Web proxy server is not specified.