3. Boot PC with floppy.And answer questions as follows(betweenis default): (I)nstall (U)pgrade or (S)hell? I <ENTER> Terminal type?[vt220] <ENTER> Do you wish to select a keyboard encoding table?[n] <ENTER> Proceed with install?[n] y <ENTER> Available disks are wd0 wd1 Wich one is the root disk?(or 'done')[done] wd0 <ENTER> Do you wish to use *all* of wd0 for OpenBSD?[no] yes <ENTER>
4. Follow directions on screen to make partitions as necessary. First type ædÆ to delete partition æaÆ and æbÆ, then type æaÆ to re-create partitions æaÆ for mounting and æbÆ for swapping. Mount \ on 'a'. Alternately, create different partitions and mount each of /usr, /etc, /var ... on each partition. Skip partition c !! don't use partition c !!
> a a offset:  Enter size:  150M Rounding to nearest cylinder: 307440 FS type: [4.2BSD] Enter mount point: [none] /
> a b offset:  Enter size:  450M Rounding to nearest cylinder: 614880 FS type: [swap] Enter
> a d offset:  Enter size:  300m Rounding to nearest cylinder: 245952 FS type: [4.2BSD] Enter mount point: [none] /tmp
Example disk usage on a 2G Harddisk install / 150M wd0a swap 350M wd0b /tmp 300M wd0d /var 250M wd0e /usr 1000M wd0g /home 100M wd0h
/home is small here because a extra 30G harddisk will be installed where users will have 1G diskspace mounted /usr is where installs will be made /var is where you l8er can run your webserver so if you want a lot of space here create it now swap near to 512 Mb for swapping is nice
If your finished comes the question: Are you really sure that you're head to proceed?[n] y <ENTER> (I always try yes on that kind of questions i've come so far lets try the rest too)
5. system hostname?(short term, e.g. 'foo') becreative <ENTER> Configure the network?[y] <ENTER>
a) If machine is to use DHCP configuration, type ædhcpÆ when asked for an IP. Machine will automatically search for available IP, Mask, and DNS information. b) If have information for static IP, then type in appropriate information.
my install is for a router firewall with 2 NIC's(Network Interface Card) so this is my runn through for the next copple of questions Available interfaces are : rl0 rl1 Wich one do you wich to initialize?(or 'done')[rl0] <ENTER> Symbolic(host) name for rl0? <ENTER> Do you wich to change the default media?[n] <ENTER> IP adress for rl0?(or 'dhcp') dhcp <ENTER> Wich one do you wich to initialize(or'done')[rl1] <ENTER> IP adress for rl1?(or'dhcp')192.168.0.1 Netmask[255.255.255.0] <ENTER> DNS domainname? [dhcp.from.isp] <ENTER> DNS nameserver? [ip.dhcp.from.isp ip.manual.from.isp] <ENTER> Use the name server now?[y] <ENTER> Default route?[dhcp] <ENTER> HTTP/FTP proxy URL?[none] none <ENTER>
6. Type æfÆ to install using ftp method when asked. Choose æyÆ at the next question to get a list of available ftp sites to download source files from. Pick a number (choose 1). (I always liked ftp.nl.net short and dutch)
7. After a list of available files from the ftp site is displayed, the files already marked with an æxÆ are required. Choose any additional files if necessary. Pressing ædoneÆ will begin the installation.
8. After files finish downloaded, type ædoneÆ to proceed.
9. Reboot. First time login in use login: root, password as previously created. Password can be changed at anytime later.
10. Create new user, add new packages (only can add packages if logged in as root). Ex:
# adduser Enter username [a-z0-9_-]: Type_user_name Enter full name : Type_first_name Enter shell csh ksh nologin sh [sh]: <press ENTER> Uid : <press ENTER> Login group <same as username> <login group>: <press ENTER> Login group is ô<login group>ö. Invite <username> into other groups: guest no [no]: wheel [group1 group2 à] Enter password : <type password> Enter password again : <type password again>