Networking Tektronix Phaser 350 with Windows XP Network. Marlon Kasprzyk Dec-2003
Below are the steps to configure Tektronix Phaser 350 with Windows XP (Home Edition) Network. It is my believe that the steps to network Phaser 350 with other types of Windows will be similar, or, will give a starting point.
1. Connect printer via standard LAN cable to LAN Hub. I use 3ComÆs Office Connect û Dual Speed Hub 8 . Since the PhaserÆs 350 Network card is 10Mb/sec, I plugged the printer in to one of the 10Mb/sec ports and the Windows XP machine into one of the 100Mb/sec ports.
2. Using the printerÆs panel switches, get to networking menu and set: IP = 169.254.10.10 Network Mask: 000:000:000:000 (Printer will assign automatically 255.255.0.0) Broadcast Address: 000:000:000:000 (Printer will assign automatically 169.254.255.255) Gateway Address: 000:000:000:000
3. On windows XP machine click START then Run and type in Open window: ping 169.254.10.10 - If the printer replies with the ping û continue, if not, review the printerÆs IP settings and /or network connections.
4. Open Browser window on the XP machine and type in the URL window: http://169.254.10.10 You should see Tektronix Printer startup page. (The Phaser 350 printer has a HTTP server running as a part of standard package as well as ftp, SNMP and Telnet). From this page you will be to able to monitor and set your printer if necessary.
5. On the windows machine click START, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Add Printer (Menu on the Left). In the Wizard window select Local Printer Attached To This Computer (very important). Click Next and in Select the Printer Port: Select: Create a New Printer Port. In the choice window scroll down and chose Standard TCP/IP port. Click Next and The TCP/IP Wizard Windows Appears with the Add Port menu. In the Pinter Name or IP Address type: 169.254.10.10 - Note as you type in the upper window, the Port Name window is filled automatically with name Port and the IP Address. You have an option to change port name later on. For now is best to leave it alone.
6. Next the menu will take you to chose a driver for the printer. The driver that comes with XP or other windows works fine. Also there is a question if you will be using printer with other windows typeà For now ignore it.
7. After the printer is created, there is a one more step that I had to perform in order to make the printer work. Go to Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes. Click on the newly created printer (mine is called Tek_Lan) and Properties and the choose Ports. Click on Configure Port. In the menu that appears chose: LPR, type for Que Name: Zbysiu and make sure that LPR Byte Counting is Check and SNMP Status Enabled. Also SNMP Status: Community Name should be public (filled automatically) and SNMP index should be 1 (filled automatically).
At this point the printer should operate. A couple additional points. Printer will not allow for any changes while the print job is in a queue. Make sure that all the jobs are deleted before you attempt any changes.
As additional info I am attaching a copy of configuration file from my printer. Please not that MATEJKO4 is a name of my Windows XP system.