Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

WinXP Critical Error Fixes

Method for Deleteing corrupt system Files and Folders that will not delete normally. by pcbugfixer
Posted: 21 Jan 03 (Edited 24 Jan 03)

Case History.
Re: Cannot delete \Windows\Lastgood.tmp folder

It appears that I have found a solution to my problem.

Recap - PC info.
My system is a Pen 4 2.4GHz with 4 x 80 Gb HD. Each with 4 x Primary partitions.
Hard Drive 0 (=1 for those that do not use binary) has P1 = 98se, P2 = files, P3 hidden = WinXP Pro, and P4 = files. Other HD and partitions = all files and backup. PC used System Commander v7.05 for OS booting. Its main use is for Service and Support.

Recap - Main issue (problem)
In my Win XP Pro, had to fix nVidia driver problem. this meant booting up in Safe Mode" when this failed, I booted to Last Known Good.
Then fixed nVidia OK, however since then, XP boots to CHKDSK screen every time and re boots by itself to XP OK. system works fine other than this problem.
Now on witch-hunt, I found the C:\windows\lastgood.tmp\system32\drivers folder structure.
Problem is that it will not open the "drivers" folder and it will not allow me to delete the folder or structure. TELLS ME THAT "drivers" folder is not empty.
Now when I boot to NTFS from floppy utility or CD, I can get to the folder and "drivers" does not contain any files (del *.* = no files) and I still cannot delete the folder structure.
This may then fix the CHKDSK problem ???

Imaging programs like Norton Ghost, Drive Image, etc. obviously included the folder error when they made an image so could not fix the problem. I tried anyway to see if after restoring the image, the folder could be deleted. û DID NOT WORK.

Other solutions provided by Forum members from around the world, also did not fix the problem, I tried 90% of them the other 10% was not specifically related.

If you want to look at a couple, containing possible solutions.

These however were good to provide ideas which highlighted the fact that the Win XP ASR backup did not pick up temp folders or files that the system may have created and or used at any time. This then included the C:\Windows\Lastgood.tmp\System32\Drivers folder structure. The drivers folder and its content was corrupt and unreadable, which caused the CHKDISK repeats at boot.

Perform a complete Backup with ASR (complete system recovery) on the faulty PC System.
That means, including all partitions on the Primary hard drive on which the XP is installed.
Obviously the size is a problem as you will be limited to 4GB in FAT32. This is fixed by having a NTFS partition of a size large enough for the backup. NTFS is not limited in the backup file size it can create.
Alternatively, other partitions on the primary Hard disk can be backed up individually and then perform an ASR on the XP partition only, re-installing (Restoring) the other partitions after XPÆs ASR. BE WARNED, THE asr WILL FORMAT EVERY PARTITION ON THE HARD DISK.
Size was the main problem when I had to deal with the XP partition, which had 14+ Gb of files all related to XP and could not split it up without causing other problems. The other 3 partitions on HD-0 (1) had much the same problem size wise for backup.

So I now have a working system and the CHKDISK (NTFS with chkdisk bit, [466] set) which occurred on every boot, does not do so any more.

After the ASR I realised that I should have Disabled the NAV (Norton Anti Virus) completely from starting and re-enabled it after the ASR. However, by simply using ôLive Updateö and re-booting, it fixed the NAV being disabled. Refer to Symantec ôerror: æNorton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program errorÆ (4002,517)ö

Research to find fix for problem took 11 days spending approx 49+ hours performing tasks related to fix attempts. Now that we have a fix, this (The ASR backup and restore) took only 4 hours on my system to re-establish a working structure.

Back to Microsoft: Windows FAQ Index
Back to Microsoft: Windows Forum

My Archive

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close