INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Jobs

odbc & access xp(2002)

odbc & access xp(2002)

(OP)
Hello,
    I need help :)
Objective: What I am trying to do is link tables from our pervasive database to a table in access for our shipping computers using an odbc connection.
Situation: ODBC connection is in place and working correctlly from what i can tell.. ive ran a trace, and when linking to about 10% of our files it works great.. but with the other 90% i get error #238 in access (ODBC--call failed [Pervasive Software][ODBC Interface][Pervasive Software SQL Engine] The named index does not exist. (#238)) which is strange because I know it does exist.. cuz im looking at the darn files that im trying to link to and the ddf is in the same directory..
Solution: I have pretty much run out of guesses and now i hope one of you guys/gals can help me out with this :)
Thanks In Advance,
        Chris
 

RE: odbc & access xp(2002)

Sounds like you're running Pervasive.SQL V7 or earlier.  The 238 error usually indicates DDFs and data files that don't match correctly.  Also, with old version of Btrieve/Pervasive, indexes were not required to be named. With v7.0 and later, the engine prefers (and requires in 2000 and V8) named indexes.  If these are third party data files, go back to the vendor and get updated DDFs.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

RE: odbc & access xp(2002)

(OP)
thank you very much for your help,
the ddf files are actually up to date from our third party software company (powerflex), but what you said made me think... since we have a server with our live data and a server with our backup data, live running v7 and backup running 2000... i tried to tie to those data files via odbc with their ddfs and the thing is working perfectly.. must be something w/ the version 7 engine.
thanks again

RE: odbc & access xp(2002)

blue,
i have almost exactly the same problem.
objective: convert database from access 2.0 to access 2002.
         : link tables from pervasive 7.0 btrieve files
           using psql2000 odbc drivers.
Im getting "ODBC call failed". I got the newer version of the shipping application that we are using supposedly for PSQL2000. Does this mean I just need to upgrade my shipping application? what risks should I consider? Could you email me instructions based on you experience? My ACCESS files/tables are coming from two locatons (each I have created DSNs for). Is this a problem, each location has its own DDFs. CONNECTIONS ARE OKAY.
thank you very much!

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Tek-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Tek-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members!

Resources

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close