29 Jun 02 10:08
I'll take a crack at some of the questions. Anyone else join in.
1) Impromptu is a general reporting tool use to access database information directly. It can report either summary or transactional data. It can also be used to create a SQL-like IQD file used by transformer to retrieve data to be used in a Powerplay cube.
2) Calculations and conditions in Impromptu are used to create calculated columns, data not directly stored in the database. An example might be to look at name prefixes (Mr., Ms, Mrs.) and calculate a column called 'Gender' that was not present in the data. They can also be used in conditional formatting and in the filter expressions.
3) Write your query or report in Impromptu and choose 'Save As' then look for 'Query Definition (IQD)' third from the bottom of the list of options.
4) Yes. An example might be changing signs on Income Statement measures where the account type is revenue (usually stored as a negative number for positive results).
There are other ways to do this in Transformer as well.
5) I'm not sure I understand this one. One of the fundamentals of an OLAP cube is that there are dimensions (attributes not directly involved in a measurement), and there are measures, usually aggreations of some numeric values in the data. A Powerplay cube without measures would be a different animal for sure.
There are a number of good Powerplay experts that frequent the forum (I'm not one of them), so feel free to post questions as you go forward exploring the product.
Hope this helps,