Ok I have a 500v2 R8.0.16, 2@DS-30's, and 1 phone 16. About 40 9508 phones.
Customer complained about buzzing and static only when on the speaker phone, both internal and external on all the phones. Had busines partner go out and adjust the echo canelling and gains on a couple of the phones with no difference. I know that on release 7.0 and these phones there was a known issue and release 8.0 should have fixed it. Contacted tech support and they said to upgrade to R8.0.18 which I did remotely, Noticed that when the DS-30in the 1st expansion port did it's backups it took like 10 minutes and the actual upgrade took a long time too,but the upgrade that didn't fix anything, then noticed that 8.0.42 came out and upgraded to that. In the process I lost the connection to the DS-30 in the 2nd expansion slot, rebooted a ton of times over the weekend and nothing. Had my contact on site do a hard power cycle and all came up but problem still remained. Also it is a intermittant problem. We decided to replace the DS-30 in the first expansion slot because it has the most phones active on it.I read a couple of posting about upgrading the DS-30's (out-of-box) to 3.2.999. This I did. The backups and upgrades seemed to work like it is suppose to now. We have also replaced the processor and the other DS-30 and the phone 16, so in short, we have replaced all hardware. This past Tuesday when I first powered up the IPO the phone 16 did its upgrades and I upgraded the new DS-30 to 3.2.999 noticed that on the upgrade tab, both DS-30 listed so I only checked the 2nd one. When it was done with that upgrade I notice that both DS-30's were at 3.2.999. I changed it back to manager then upgraded to 8.0.42. I also seen that both DS-30's were now at 8.0.42.
Before I replaced the modules,I finally was able to hear what they are talking about. It is now buzzing or static, it is popping on the first syllable and distorted some of the sounds.
I did a reboot after the upgrades and both DS-30's would not synchrone until I rebooted several more times. After that I rebooted a again and everything came up as it should. In the process of all that, both my T1's dropped. It took a couple of hours for the provider to fix that.
I got a list, finally, from the contact onsite of the extension that was have this trouble, and found that all but 1 is on the 2nd DS-30. Now that it has been replace I am hoping this is fixed. I am currently running monitor if I have to open a ticket with Avaya.
Sorry this is long but just wondering what my next step is, if any, if this come back. And by the way it takes about 4 days for the problem to came back.