It's quite a simple setup. Multiple W2K3/W2K8R2 servers, an SQL server, Exchange 2010 DAG. They all use a single Storage Policy that is configured as follows:
1. Disk-to-Disk 60 days/4 cycles
2. Disk-to-Tape (90 days) 90 days/4 cycles
3. Disk-to-tape (Monthly Fulls) Infinite
Obviously the retention will be based around what are requirements for and legal obligations. But I'm looking for suggestions on the current setup - is this common, is it a good option, are there better options?
* Why keep monthly fulls for an infinite amount of time? Why not set it to eg 7 years
* What is a good method for off-site storage? Is it good to take all tapes with anything on them out on a weekly basis, take them off-site, run a weekly report & return tapes that have met retention?
Any suggestions/advice appreciated.