23 Apr 12 8:31
I have a website written in ASP classic that presents data from a SQL database. I would now like to export the data as Excel and after some research have found that using EP Plus and .NET is one of the better ways of doing this.
I am totally new to this and so far I have:
1. Downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer 2010 Express on my PC
2. Created a folder on the IIS server and converted it to an application
3. Installed .NET framework 4 on server and configured application to use this.
4. Added a line to my web.config file <customErrors mode="Off"/>
5. Copied EPPLUS.DLL to the folder on the IIS server where my project is.
Some sample code has been supplied on the EP Plus website:
private void DumpExcel(DataTable tbl)
using (ExcelPackage pck = new ExcelPackage())
//Create the worksheet
ExcelWorksheet ws = pck.Workbook.Worksheets.Add("Demo");
//Load the datatable into the sheet, starting from cell A1. Print the column names on row 1
//Format the header for column 1-3
using (ExcelRange rng = ws.Cells["A1:C1"])
rng.Style.Font.Bold = true;
rng.Style.Fill.PatternType = ExcelFillStyle.Solid; //Set Pattern for the background to Solid
rng.Style.Fill.BackgroundColor.SetColor(Color.FromArgb(79, 129, 189)); //Set color to dark blue
//Example how to Format Column 1 as numeric
using (ExcelRange col = ws.Cells[2, 1, 2 + tbl.Rows.Count, 1])
col.Style.Numberformat.Format = "#,##0.00";
col.Style.HorizontalAlignment = ExcelHorizontalAlignment.Right;
//Write it back to the client
Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=ExcelDemo.xlsx");
So my questions for now are...
1. I want to add a button to my default.aspx folder that runs the above code. How do I 'tell' default.aspx about the epplus.dll file?
2. Do I need to make a default.aspx.cs file and stick the code in there? I can see there is a default.aspx.vb file so I think somehow I have selected the wrong language for the website?
Thanks very much