ok, only RES5 (which hasnt been released yet) will work on Win7 & Server 2008. So, I run VMWare and run RES4 on XP, and bridge the connection to the local network. I have run hotels like this while rebuilding their servers.
Its easy, even the licence key is available to the VM shell when you plug it in!! Really
Are you familiar with VMWare Player or VMware at all? I use VMWare to build all the RES versions and take snapshots whereas VMware Player can play only 1 snapshot (the current one).
The key points are:
1. IIS, Dotnet1.1 & ASP are installed
2. C:\ for OS & Apps
3. D:\ for Data (say 10GB)
4. User temp VARS are set to the same as OS temp vars
5. Rename the server before installing Micros unless you have the correct setname application
Otherwise the Micros RES 3700 Version 4.0 Installation Procedure is:
1. Enter Bios Settings when starting up and check Hyper-Threading is disabled. If it was enabled, then run "Devcon" program also.
2. Ensure Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed – Add Remove Windows Components
3. Enter the correct IP Address is set in the server.
4. Ensure the Server Name is correct. After Micros is installed this may only be changed by using the "Set Name Utility" for Res 4.
5. Ensure Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 has been loaded
6. Ensure Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 2 is loaded.
7. Ensure the Correct Date, Time & Time Zone are set on the server
8. Make Environmental Variables the same- TMP/TEMP should both be TEMP.
9. Install the Micros Res 4 Pre Requisite files (setup.exe in the Pre Req folder).
10. Install MICROS Res 4 (Load Micros as Administrator) to C:\Program Files.
Install the database to D:\Micros.
• At the "Select Features" page, tick all options.
• When prompted, install the standard Australian Res 4 Shell Database by choosing "Install Your Own Database".
• If the Drive letter needs to be changed of the C or D Drive, do so through Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Computer Management – Disk Management.
11. Ensure the database will start. Then stop database and load any necessary Micros service packs.
12. Input Micros License Codes.
13. Install asat clean procedure:
• Place AsatClean file in Micros/Res/Pos/Scripts folder.
• Create a key in the registry under HKEY_Local_Machine_Software/Micros/3700 called AsatClean
• Within that key, create a string called 'Path' with the value of D:\Temp
• Create a System Environment Variable called ASTMP with the value of D:\Temp
• Create a folder under the D Drive called Temp and ensure it is shared.
14. Place FilemainV4.bat file in Micros/Res/Pos/Scripts folder
15. Create necessary user:
• Create the user through Control Panel – Admin Tools – Computer Management – Local Users & Groups
• Create a user called Micros with the password Support. Sign on as micros once.
16. Load PK Zip Directory with files within the folder on to C:\Program Files Directory
September 2006 – Micros Fidelio Australia Page 1 of 2
17. Go to Database Manager – Security Log section and click on the yellow folder next to "Security Log Backup Path". Ensure the default is \Bin, then click on the green tick to save it.
18. Add Win Zip (if not there already) to C:\Program Files
19. Load VNC onto the server from the Res 4 Utilities CD.
20. From within Windows Explorer, click Tools – Folder Options – View and make all folders view in 'Detail' format.
21. Check the Screensaver and Background are suitable.
22. Install PC Anywhere on C:\Program Files and setup a caller called Micros in the properties.
23. Add Bitmaps and Scripts: ALSO to load them to C:\Program Files\Micros\Res\CAL
24. Add Shortcuts for Micros Control Panel, POS Configurator, Autosequences & Reports and Manager Procedures plus any other components that be in use such as Product Manament.
25. Open Managers Procedures once and add the Manager Procedures website to the trusted sites list if prompted.
26. Label the server with the Helpdesk Number and Login.
I wrote an executeable / MSI for the ASATCLEAN setup that will install the app, set registry, paths, folders etc. if you want it