28 Sep 09 16:43
-what are your VIOS (VIO server) LPARs
- what are your VIO client LPARs
- which VIOS LPAR has the hardware device/slot that gives access to the CDrom device
the devqa_vios1 is the one that has the cd right now.
the devqa_vios2 had been rmdev'd -Rdl
- what vhost adapters have been defined on the VIO servers and how are they set up (1-to-1 or 1-to-any)
I couln't pinpoint on configuration this item, but, since the very same cd0 was shared among many LPARs before being shared with the devqa_vios2 (which is also a LPAR), I believe it is 1-to-any.
- what vscsi adapters have been defined on the VIO clients
vhost1. can't be right... vhost adapters can only exist on VIO servers, not on VIO clients
On the vios2 this adapter could not be re-created through the cfgdev after the rmdev -Rdl....
- what exactly is the current set up (which LPAR(s) see(s) what type of CD device)
Actually ALL LPARS (with the exception of devqa_vios2) can see and mount the cd0.
- what is your desired setup.
Attach the cd0 to devqa_vios2. Is that what you meant?
If needed, please list additional info on how to retrieve any data you might need...Thanks, P5W!
So it looks like you want to undefine the cd0 device on one VIOS and discover it on VIOS2. Well that IS a DLPAR operation.
1) You need to find out on VIOS1 what slot/adapter is used to access the device. Could be a PCI slot and a SCSI adapter. Try and find the parent pciNN device that the cd0 resides under, use the VIOS command "lsdev -vpd" to find that device using the hardware location codes. Note the hardware location code for the PCI device.
2) Next undefine the adapter and recursively all devices under it: rmdev -dev pciNN -recursive. You'll only be able to do that if the SCSI bus the CD is on is not shared with other devices (e.g. hard disks)
3) Now on the HMC move that adapter (HW location code from 1) over to the other VIOS using the DLPAR menu.
4) run cfgdev on second VIOS to discover the device. Now you can use cd0 device on second VIOS.
Side thought: you may be able to use the cd0 device on a vscsi adapter on VIOS2, sharing it like on the other VIO clients, but I don't like to have dependencies between VIO servers. Not sure you can define client VSCSI adapters on a VIO server though...