Smart questions
Smart answers
Smart people
Join Tek-Tips Forums

Member Login

Remember Me
Forgot Password?
Join Us!

Come Join Us!

Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips now!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

Join Tek-Tips
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Jobs from Indeed

Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

noridetoolow (TechnicalUser) (OP)
5 Feb 09 12:16 here is my question....CAN I use a USB Y-splitter \ adapter to ONE USB device to make that device visible to 2 computers at once? Possibly a single USB hard drive? I dont know if it would require a special cable that HID the fact that both PCs were looking at the same device at the same time while making it transparent to both PCs.....I hope I make sense. At its root...simple question:

1 USB device - Y-adapter to 2 computers... device is visible to each at the same time as if connected directly.

Thanks all
SimonDavies (MIS)
5 Feb 09 12:26
I have to admit that in all my years of playing with USB I haven't seen a Y splitter out there. If you're wanting to share a USB hard drive use network sharing (assuming you're on a network), if you're wanting to share a security dongle then you're out of luck.

I would have to say not possible unless someone tells me otherwise.


The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.


wahnula (TechnicalUser)
5 Feb 09 14:29
Agree w/ Simon...use network sharing.  Don't try and improvise a Y-dongle, there's 5VDC in there!


Users helping Users...

noridetoolow (TechnicalUser) (OP)
5 Feb 09 14:52
i am trying to share a secuirty device between 2 computers so that I ALWAYS have it in place. My thinking is that the cable design would mimic only one cable but allow for both...perhaps I was hoping for too much, lol.

thanks for your replies
BadBigBen (MIS)
5 Feb 09 16:38
USB is SERIAL... meaning that only on device per cable...

BUT --- there are devices called USB Switch or USB Sharing Stations, which allow a single USB device to be shared (by the flick of a switch) between computers...

example: Tripp Lite U215-004-R USB Peripheral Sharing Switch - 4 port


"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

SimonDavies (MIS)
5 Feb 09 17:24
No, you're trying to bypass the idea of the security dongle, that's why I said you're out of luck... and one of the reasons there are USB security dongles. Unfortunately if you want to use the software that requires the dongle, you're going to have to purchase an additional license\dongle for it.


The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.


Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Tek-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Tek-Tips and talk with other members!

Back To Forum

Close Box

Join Tek-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close