6 Nov 07 15:02
...illustrator does come with extra swatches you can try...
...go to the swatches palette and via the flyout menu (arrow top right) choose 'open swtach library'...
...there is a method in illy CS2 and CS3 to create a swatch palette from an image within illustrator itself...
...the other method is to use photoshop, via the index color method. not sure if this method is viable for illy 9 but i will detail it anyway if others find it helpful:
1. open image on photoshop
2. convert to rgb if required and then to index mode
3. set the setting as follows, or try out your own:
• Palette: Local (Perceptual)
• Colors: 128
• Forced: None
• Transparency: unchecked
• Dither: None
4. Image > Mode > Color Table
5. Hit the save button, and put it somewhere accessible
6. Swatches palette flyout menu (top right arrow) choose replace swatches and locate swatch from step 5.
7. Flyout menu again, choose 'Save Swatches For Exchange', save somewhere accessible
8. In illustrator, in cmyk document, choose swatches palette flyout menu and open swatch.
9. select all swatches from the loaded swatch and drag to the default swatches palette, all colors are now global cmyk.
...as mentioned earlier, this method is probably only achievable with CS2...