INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS
Come Join Us!
Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips now!
- Talk With Other Members
- Be Notified Of Responses
To Your Posts
- Keyword Search
- One-Click Access To Your
- Automated Signatures
On Your Posts
- Best Of All, It's Free!
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.
Partner With Us!
"Best Of Breed" Forums Add Stickiness To Your Site
(Download This Button Today!)
"...It's extraordinarily refreshing to see truly expert advice without having to wade through hipper than thou attitude..."
Where in the world do Tek-Tips members come from?
Web Proxy Forwarding
How to Setup Web Proxy Forwarding in OS Enhanced
Posted: 11 Feb 06
Network > Web Proxy
A Web proxy server intercepts HTTP requests and determines if it has stored copies of the requested Web pages. If it does not, the proxy completes the request to the server on the Internet, returning the requested information to the user and also saving it locally for future requests. Setting up a Web proxy server on a network can be cumbersome, because each computer on the network must be configured to direct Web requests to the server.
If you have a proxy server on your network, instead of configuring each computer’s Web browser to point to the proxy server, you can move the server to the WAN and enable Web Proxy Forwarding using the settings on the Network > Web Proxy page. The SonicWALL security appliance automatically forwards all Web proxy requests to the proxy server without requiring all the computers on the network to be configured.
Configuring Automatic Proxy Forwarding (Web Only)
Alert: The proxy server must be located on the WAN; it cannot be located on the LAN.
To configure a Proxy Web server, select the Network > Web Proxy page.
1. Connect your Web proxy server to a hub, and connect the hub to the SonicWALL security appliance WAN port.
2. Type the name or IP address of the proxy server in the Proxy Web Server (name or IP address) field.
3. Type the proxy IP port in the Proxy Web Server Port field.
4. To bypass the Proxy Servers if a failure occurs, select the Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Server Failure check box.
5. In SonicOS Enhanced: Select Forward DMZ Client Requests to Proxy Server if you have clients configured on the DMZ
6. In SonicOS Standard: To send proxy requests from the OPT interface as well as the LAN interface, check the Forward OPT/DMZ/WLAN Client Requests to Proxy Server checkbox.
7. Click Apply. Once the SonicWALL security appliance has been updated, a message confirming the update is displayed at the bottom of the browser window.
Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Failure
If a Web proxy server is specified on the Firewall > Web Proxy page, selecting the Bypass Proxy Servers Upon Proxy Server Failure check box allows clients behind the SonicWALL security appliance to bypass the Web proxy server in the event it becomes unavailable. Instead, the client’s browser accesses the Internet directly as if a Web proxy server is not specified.
Back to SonicWALL solutions FAQ Index
Back to SonicWALL solutions Forum
Join Tek-Tips® Today!
Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.
Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:
- Talk To Other Members
- Notification Of Responses To Questions
- Favorite Forums One Click Access
- Keyword Search Of All Posts, And More...
Register now while it's still free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.
Join Us Close