INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS
Come Join Us!
Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips Forums!
- Talk With Other Members
- Be Notified Of Responses
To Your Posts
- Keyword Search
- One-Click Access To Your
- Automated Signatures
On Your Posts
- Best Of All, It's Free!
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.
Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Adobe PageMaker FAQs
How (and how not) to import images files into PageMaker
Posted: 31 Jul 04 (Edited 31 Jul 04)
* ONLY use File>Place to bring graphics into PageMaker
When placing images in a PageMaker file, the following message appears:
ôThe graphic in the linked file would occupy xxxxxxx bytes in the publication. Include the complete copy in the publication anyway?ö
The correct answer to this question is always "NO".
* Do not Place graphics from a floppy, Zip disk, CD, or network drive. Copy the graphic file to your local hard drive, then Place.
* Use only TIF or EPS graphics (PSD and AI with PM7)
* Do NOT use JPEG, GIF, WMF, CGM, DXF, or any graphics format other than TIF or EPS
(Click here for the Adobe Knowledgebase article about the Limitations of Metafiles.)
* You can place PDFs as graphics - they are essentially handled as EPS by PageMaker
* Do NOT copy/paste graphics from other applications. The Windows clipboard will lose information required by PageMaker for high quality output.
* Do NOT use Insert Object or Paste Special
Object Linking and Embedding is highly problematic in the Postscript environment (e.g. creating PDFs), severely restricts portability (other applications have to be present) and is really only included in PageMaker to gain Microsoft approval as a Windows application. It has been dispensed with in newer applications, e.g. InDesign.
* Do not embed your graphics in PageMaker documents. Link only. (See the first bullet point)
* Save Illustrator or CorelDraw graphics as EPS for placing in PageMaker
* For best results with Illustrator EPS, convert all type to outlines, and save back to version 7.
* Save Photoshop graphics as TIF (the exception is duotones - save as EPS). Note: PM7 will import PSD directly.
* Size your Photoshop graphics in Photoshop - do not scale in PageMaker, or if you must, do NOT scale UP (stretch a TIF to make it larger) in PageMaker.
* Photoshop's preferences should be set to NOT embed profiles in grayscale images - they can cause problems in PageMaker
* PageMaker supports transparency in vector EPS or TIFs with clipping paths ONLY. GIFs will not retain transparency and shouldn't be used in PageMaker anyway.
* See also this page in the Adobe PageMaker Support Knowledgebase:
Recommended workflow for creating PageMaker publications.
Back to Adobe: PageMaker FAQ Index
Back to Adobe: PageMaker Forum
Join Tek-Tips® Today!
Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.
Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:
- Talk To Other Members
- Notification Of Responses To Questions
- Favorite Forums One Click Access
- Keyword Search Of All Posts, And More...
Register now while it's still free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.
Join Us Close