INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS
Come Join Us!
Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips now!
- Talk With Other Members
- Be Notified Of Responses
To Your Posts
- Keyword Search
- One-Click Access To Your
- Automated Signatures
On Your Posts
- Best Of All, It's Free!
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.
Partner With Us!
"Best Of Breed" Forums Add Stickiness To Your Site
(Download This Button Today!)
"...Since using forums in my early days 10 years ago in CompuServe, one had to log back on and sometimes wait days for a response. Now I get a response e-mailed to me which I can click a link and go right back to exactly where My post was..."
Where in the world do Tek-Tips members come from?
Why is the SVG format so darn COOL?
Posted: 8 Aug 03
• Well, for Illustrator designers, it's a great way to share our work online with others who have the plugin from Adobe, which is also installed by default with many Adobe products.
• But my favorite feature is that, you can Zoom in and Pan, which allows complex detail exploration.
• SVGs are real text, searchable, have font embedding controls, and can be opened and edited in Illustrator as vector art.
What is SVG? From Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/svg/overview/svg.html
How do I author SVG with Illustrator?
The short answer is: Save As > SVG[
Long answer, Here's a PDF guide for AI9
Can I see some examples of SVG for inspiration?
A few tips for creating SVGs with Illustrator:
- White space: An object up and left in relation to your art will force some margin whitespace around the SVG output, otherwise it crops tight.
- Headers: Toward this end, see the actions SVGZout MyWork & Others, for automated header placement. You will need to create an .ai or .svg header file and RErecord the 'Place' action to point to your new , personalized file. The SVGZout 'Others' action/file lets users know that the work being presented IS NOT MINE, and will keep designer relations on the up-and-up.
- Download all my TEK actions at: (right-click, Save Target As, otherwise, you'll be reading script) http://www.elucidesign.com/TEK_examples/TEK_Actions.aia
See an example of the above header actions output: http://www.elucidesign.com/TEK_examples/FAQs/HeaderOutput.svgz
- Making a hyperlink <a href...> : Select an object and view the Attributes palette, URLs can be specified for the selected object here. By opening a non-compressed .svg file in a text editor, you can add target-"_blank" after the "http://XXX.html" to open your link in a new browser window.
Back to Adobe: Illustrator FAQ Index
Back to Adobe: Illustrator Forum
Join Tek-Tips® Today!
Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.
Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:
- Talk To Other Members
- Notification Of Responses To Questions
- Favorite Forums One Click Access
- Keyword Search Of All Posts, And More...
Register now while it's still free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.
Join Us Close